MEDICAL AND SOCIAL APPROACHES TO ENSURE EARLY DIAGNOSIS AND PREVENTION OF ALLERGIC RHINITIS AT THE REGIONAL LEVEL
1Morozovskaya Children's City Clinical Hospital, Moscow, Russian Federation
2Department of Allergology, Immunology and Social Adaptology, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia, Moscow, Russian Federation
3Odintsovo Regional Hospital, Odintsovo, Russian Federation
4Department of Pathology, Yaroslavl State Medical University, Yaroslavl, Russian Federation
Objective: To evaluate the effectiveness of a screening programme for detecting allergic rhinitis (AR) and its risk factors (RFs) based on a 5-year epidemiological analysis among children ages 0 to 17 years in the Odintsovo urban district in Moscow Oblast, Russia.
Methods: A retrospective study of polyclinic facilities' performance indicators and an analysis of outpatient records of patients diagnosed with AR between 2017 and 2021 were carried out. The rates of incidence, prevalence, risks and odds ratios for AR were assessed.
Results: A database of identified 28 RFs for AR was registered at the Federal Service for Intellectual Property of the Russian Federation (Rospatent) (Certificate of Registration # 2022620939 dated April 13, 2022). All RFs for AR, in terms of modifiability, were divided into three groups: non-modifiable, partially modifiable and modifiable. When assessing the relative risks and risk probability, it was found that the impact of RFs is uneven in different age groups. Therefore, age groups with the highest risk probability for AR were determined. In addition, a screening program has been developed.
Conclusion: Epidemiological research and knowledge of modifiable age-related AR RFs will allow the early detection of AR in children's different age groups through cascade screening programmes.
Keywords: Allergic rhinitis, risk factors, screening cascade, allergy, early diagnosis.
- Revyakina VA. Allergicheskiy rinit u detey. Realii segodnyashnego vremeni [Allergic rhinitis in children. The realities of today]. Farmateka. 2017;1:14-8.
- Khokha RN. Okruzhayushchaya sreda, kak faktor riska razvitiya allergicheskikh zabolevaniy u detey [The environment as a risk factor for the development of allergic diseases in children]. Zhurnal Grodnenskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta. 2016;4:59-64.
- Balabolkin II, Terletskaya RN. Allergicheskaya zabolevaemost' detskogo naseleniya v sovremennykh ekologicheskikh usloviyakh [Allergic morbidity of the child population in modern environmental conditions]. Obshchestvennoe zdorov'e i zdravookhranenie. 2013;3:40-5.
- Baranov AA, Namazova-Baranova LS, Khaitov RM, Iliina NI, Kurbacheva OM, Novik GA, i dr. Allergicheskiy rinit u detey: printsipy svoevremennoy diagnostiki i effektivnoy terapii: Kratkiy obzor klinicheskikh rekomendatsiy [Allergic rhinitis in children: principles of timely diagnosis and effective therapy: A brief review of clinical guidelines]. Pediatricheskaya farmakologiya. 2017;14(4):272-82.
- Dunlop J, Matsui E, Sharma HP. Allergic rhinitis: Environmental determinants. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2016;36:367-77.
- Malanicheva TG, Ziatdinova NV, Gataullina GS. Effektivnost' eliminatsionno-irrigatsionnoy terapii u detey s allergicheskim rinitom i rekurrentnymi respiratornymi zabolevaniyami [Effectiveness of elimination-irrigation therapy in children with allergic rhinitis and recurrent respiratory diseases]. Meditsinskiy sovet. 2021;1(4):93-8.
- Narzullaev NU, Zhumaeva ZZh. Otsenka sostoyaniya diagnostiki i lecheniya allergicheskogo rinita u detey shkol'nogo vozrasta [Evaluation of the state of diagnosis and treatment of allergic rhinitis in schoolchildren]. Byulleten' nauki i praktiki. 2021;7(3):183-8.
- Pampura AN, Varlamov EE, Asmanov AI. Vozmozhnosti povysheniya kachestva zhizni u detey s allergicheskim rinitom i soputsvuyushchey patologiey polosti nosa [Opportunities to improve the quality of life in children with allergic rhinitis and concomitant pathology of the nasal cavity]. Rossiyskiy allergologicheskiy zhurnal. 2019;16(1):117-20.
- Shakhova NV, Kamaltynova EM, Lobanov YuF, Ardatova TS. Allergicheskiy rinit u detey doshkol'nogo vozrasta Altayskogo kraya [Allergic rhinitis in preschool children of the Altai Territory]. Byulleten' meditsinskoy nauki. 2018;1(9):72-7
- Mortz CG, Andersen KE, Poulsen LK, Kjaer HF, Broesby-Olsen S, Bindslev-Jensen C. Atopic diseases and type I sensitization from adolescence to adulthood in an unselected population (TOACS) with focus on predictors for allergic rhinitis. Allergy. 2019;74(2):308-17.
- Chatkin J, Correa L, Santos U. External environmental pollution as a risk factor for asthma. Clinical Reviews in Allergy & Immunology. 2021;62:72-89.
- Julian PT, Douglas GA, Moher D. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trial. BMJ. 2011;3(43):5928. https://doi. org/10.1136/bmj.d5928
- Berezhanskiy PV. Vyyavlenie faktorov riska allergicheskogo rinita u detey raznogo vozrasta, prozhivayushchikh v tsentral'nom federal'nom okruge [Identification of risk factors for allergic rhinitis in children of different ages living in the Central Federal District]. Sovremennaya nauka: aktual'nye problemy teorii i praktiki. 2022;10:167-82. https://doi.org/10.37882/2223–2966.2022.10.04
- Grigorieva VV, Khanferyan RA, Sundatova TV. Rasprostranyonnost' allergicheskikh zabolevaniy v Krasnodarskom Krae [The prevalence of allergic diseases in the Krasnodar Territory]. Kubanskiy nauchnyy meditsinskiy vestnik. 2006;3- 4:23-7.
- Klykova TV, Fassakhov RS, Reshetnikova ID. Rannee vyyavlenie allergicheskikh zabolevaniy sredi shkol'nikov goroda Kazani [Early detection of allergic diseases among schoolchildren in the city of Kazan]. Prakticheskaya meditsina. 2010;2:149-51.
- Buynova SN, Dampilova OV. Sravnitel'naya otsenka rasprostranyonnosti bronkhial'noy astmy i allergicheskogo rinita u detey v gorodakh Irkutske i UlanUde [Comparative assessment of the prevalence of bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis in children in the cities of Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude]. Sibirskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal. 2013;6:135-7.
- Tan RR. Identifying the hidden burden of allergic rhinitis (AR) in community pharmacy: A global phenomenon. Asthma Res Pract.2017;3:8.
- Nesterova AV, Potaturkina-Nesterova NI, Nesterov AS. Sovremennoe sostoyanie problemy allergicheskogo rinita u detey [The current state of the problem of allergic rhinitis in children]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya. 2015;1(5):226.
- Lee E, Hong SJ. Phenotypes of allergic diseases in children and their application in clinical situations. Korean J Pediatr. 2019;23:73-95.
- Hill DA, Grundmeier RW, Ram G, Spergel JM. The epidemiologic characteristics of healthcare provider-diagnosed eczema, asthma, allergic rhinitis, and food allergy in children: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Pediatr. 2016;16:133.
- Drapkina OM, Samorodskaya IV. Skrining: terminologiya, printsipy i mezhdunarodnyy opyt [Screening: Terminology, principles and international experience]. Profilakticheskaya meditsina. 2019;22(1):90‑7.
- Asmanov AI, Treneva MS, Pampura AN, Munblit DB. Prospektivnoe kogortnoe issledovanie chastoty priznakov allergicheskogo rinita u detey g. Moskvy v 3- i 4-letnem vozraste [Prospective cohort study of the frequency of signs of allergic rhinitis in children in Moscow at the age of 3 and 4 years]. Kremlyovskaya meditsina. 2016;3:75-8.
Berezhanskiy Pavel Vyacheslavovich Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Pulmonology Department, Morozovskaya Children's City Clinical Hospital; Assistant of the Department of Allergology, Immunology and Social Adaptology, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5235-5303 SPIN: 1480-9900 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fadeev Andrey Vasilievich Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head Physician of the Odintsovo Regional Hospital ORCID ID: 0000-0003-2255-6926 SPIN: 1780-9951 E-mail: Fadan66@mail.ru
Shubin Leonid Borisovich Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Pathology, Yaroslavl State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0003-4562-7731; SPIN: 8021-7289 E-mail: email@example.com
Information about support in the form of grants, equipment, medications
The authors did not receive financial support from manufacturers of medicines and medical equipment
Conflicts of interest: No conflict
Address for correspondence:
Berezhanskiy Pavel Vyacheslavovich
Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Pulmonology Department, Morozovskaya Children's City Clinical Hospital; Assistant of the Department of Allergology, Immunology and Social Adaptology, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia
119049, Russian Federation, Moscow, 4th Dobryninskiy lane, 1/9
Tel.: +7 (915) 1455013
Materials on the topic:
- INTRODUCING A QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IN A MEDICAL ORGANIZATION: SWOT ANALYSIS
- INTRODUCTION OF HIV SERVICES IN THE TAJIKISTAN'S PRIMARY HEALTH CARE INSTITUTIONS: DUSHANBE EXPERIENCE, CURRENT RESULTS, AND PROSPECTS FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT
- QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IN A HEALTHCARE ORGANISATION: FROM BASICS TO OPERATING MODEL
- COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF RESEARCH ACTIVITY OF KAZAKHSTAN MEDICAL UNIVERSITIES
- MOTIVATION OF THE PUBLICATION ACTIVITY OF LECTURERS IN A MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
- DOCTOR'S PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCES IN TELEMEDICINE
- DOCTORS’ ATTITUDE TO TELEMEDICINE
- INTERDEPARTMENTAL INTERACTION FOR ROAD ACCIDENT CONSEQUENCES ELIMINATION
- RISK FACTORS FOR CHRONIC NONCOMMUNICABLE DISEASES IN THE MINISTRY OF EMERGENCY SITUATIONS PERSONNEL
- IMPROVEMENT OF ORGANIZATIONAL FORMS OF WORK OF THE LOCAL MEDICAL ORGANIZATION PROVIDING OUTPATIENT MEDICAL CARE