PROBLEMS OF PROVIDING THE POPULATION OF THE BOKHTAR AREA OF KHATLON REGION WITH SAFE DRINKING WATER
1Department of Environmental Health, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
2Center for State Sanitary and Epidemiological Supervision of Khatlon Region, Bokhtar, Republic of Tajikistan
3Medical College of Gissar City, Gissar, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: To study the state of providing safe drinking water to the population of the Bohkhtar area of Khatlon region
Methods: The objects of the study were: sources of drinking water supply, centralized systems of household and drinking water supply, water networks of 15 districts of the Bokhtar area. The hygienic assessment of drinking water sources, centralized water systems, sanitation zones and the quality of drinking water was carried out in accordance with Tajikistan’s water legislation.
Results: The Bokhtar area population for 01.01.2019 is 2126494 people. Only 30% of the population of the region is provided with piped drinking water, and another part of the population (70%) use water from open water sources (rivers, canals, aryks, hauzi, etc.), therefore, there is high incidence of acute intestinal infections, which is more common in remote districts of rural areas. Of the total number of 125 functioning water pipes, 63% do not fully comply with sanitary regulations and norms. Water treatment and decontamination system are not implemented. The wear and breeding of water supply networks today fluctuates between 60-80%. It should be noted that about 40% of the population of the Bokhtar area uses water from irrigation canals that flow through their territory and are the main source of drinking water.
Conclusions: In the cities and districts of the Bokhtar area, the issue of providing the population with good-quality drinking water is still low, especially in remote areas. Its solution is related to the implementation of a set of measures, such as: the improvement of water facilities, the construction and reconstruction of water pipes, the establishment of modern technologies to transport and purify water, to use local installations for water treatment, treatment and disposal, to carry out informational work with the population.
Keywords: Bokhtar area, population, water supply problem, quality of drinking water, state of water pipes.
- Tulakin AV, Plitman SI, Ampleeva GP, Pivneva OS. Risk orientirovannyy nadzor, kak osnova obespecheniya bezopasnosti pit’evoy vody: problemy i vozmozhnosti [Risk-based supervision as the basis for safe drinking water: challenges and opportunities]. Prikladnye informatsionnye aspekty meditsiny. 2018;21(3):28-31.
- Kleyn SV, Vekovshinina SA, Sboev AS. Prioritetnye faktory riska pit’evoy vody i svyazannyy s nim ekonomicheskiy ushcherb [Priority risk factors for drinking water and associated economic damage]. Gigiena i sanitariya. 2016;95(1):4-10.
- Onischenko GG. Problemy kachestva pit’evoy vody v Rossiyskoy Federatsii i puti ikh resheniya [Problems of drinking water quality in the Russian Federation and the ways to solve them]. Vodosnabzhenie i sanitarnaya tekhnika. 2010;12:6-12.
- Sergeeva ES, Eliseev YuYu. Kompleksnaya sanitarno-gigienicheskaya otsenka rek pit’evogo naznacheniya [Complex sanitary and hygienic assessment of drinking rivers]. Saratovskiy nauchno-meditsinskiy zhurnal. 2008;4:18-21.
- Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC). Safe Water System for Developing World: A Handbook for Implementing Household Based Water Treatment and Safe Storage Projects (CDC). Atlanta, USA: 2002. 424 р.
- Syomka IM, Kazaeva OV. Analiz kachestva pit’evoy vody v Ryazanskoy oblasti [The analysis of drinking water quality in the Ryazan region]. Nauka molodykh. 2013;3:71-4.
- Loginov GA, Rakhmanova AA, Sergeeva ES. Problemy obespecheniya naseleniya Saratovskoy oblasti dobrokachestvennoy pit’evoy vodoy [Problems of providing the population of the Saratov region with highquality drinking water]. Byulleten’ meditsinskikh Internet-konferentsiy. 2017;1:289-91.
- Golovachyov AV, Kramar DV, Belyaeva EA. Grazhdane Rossii o pit’evoy vode [Citizens of Russia on drinking water]. Vodosnabzhenie i sanitarnaya tekhnika. 2008;3:17-21.
- Azimov GD, Daburov KN. Sanitarno-gigienicheskie aspekty sostoyaniya vodnykh ob’ektov Respubliki Tadzhikistan [Sanitary and hygienic aspects of the state of water bodies of the Republic of Tajikistan]. Nauka, novye tekhnologii i innovatsii Kyrgyzstana. 2016;12:57-8.
- Daburov KN, Azimov GD, Rafiev KhK. Sanitarno-gigienicheskoe sostoyanie pit’evogo obespecheniya naseleniya v Respublike Tadzhikistan i mery po eyo uluchsheniyu [Sanitary and hygienic state of drinking provision of the population in the Republic of Tajikistan and measures for its improvement]. Vestnik pedagogicheskogo universiteta. 2014;2:119-21.
- Azimov GD, Daburov KN. Pit’evoe vodosnabzhenie naseleniya v Tadzhikistane. Analiz situatsii i strategiya na budushchee [Drinking water supply of the population in Tajikistan. Analysis of the situation and strategy for the future]. Evraziyskiy soyuz uchyonykh. 2016;3:87-91
- Azimov GD, Daburov KN, Lukyanov NB, Rafiev KhK. Vodnye resursy Tadzhikistana, problemy, puti ikh resheniya [Water resources of Tajikistan, problems, ways of their solution]. Zdravookhranenie Tadzhikistana. 2010;2:157-60.
- Butaev TM, Merkulova NA, Gigolaeva LV. Gigienicheskie aspekty kachestva pit’evoy vody [Hygienic aspects of the quality of drinking water]. Zdorov’e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya. 2010;6:7-9.
- Azimov GD, Egamnazarov KhN, Daburov KN. Udovletvoryonnost’ naseleniya goroda Dushanbe kolichestvom i kachestvom pit’evogo vodosnabzheniya [Satisfaction of the population of the city of Dushanbe with the quantity and quality of drinking water supply]. Evraziyskiy soyuz uchyonyikh. 2016;7:11-4.
- Rafiev KhK, Ibodov ST, Talabov MS, Usmanova GM, Ali-zade SG, Lukyanov NB. Faktory peredachi infektsii pri rasprostranenii kishechnykh zabolevaniy v razlichnykh regionakh Respubliki Tadzhikistan [Infections transfer factors with the spread of intestinal diseases in various regions of the Republic of Tajikistan]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2017;19(3):387-92. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.25005/2074-0581-2017-19-3-387-392.
- Azimov GD, Nusratulloev IN, Daburov KN, Azizi Nurzod. Vliyanie mineral’nogo sostava prirodnykh vod Tadzhikistana na zabolevaemost’ mochekamennoy bolezn’yu [The influence of the mineral composition of natural waters of Tajikistan on the incidence of urolithiasis]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2008;3:92-6.
Egamnazarov Khuseyn Nazarovich
, PhD Student, Department of Environmental Health, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5115-0370
Daburov Kamil Nizamovich
, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Full Professor, Head of the Department of Environmental Health, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University ORCID ID: 0000-0003-2793-3655
Bobodzhonov Fayzali Meglievich
, Director of the Center for State Sanitary and Epidemiological Supervision of Khatlon Region ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2833-1448
Azimov Gurez Dzhalilovich
, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Director of the Medical College of Gissar City ORСID ID: 0000-0001-5050-7289
Address for correspondence:
Egamnazarov Khuseyn Nazarovich
PhD Student, Department of Environmental Health, Avicenna Tajik State Medical University
734003, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Rudaki Ave., 139
Tel.: +992 (918) 795321