MALNUTRITION INDEX DEFICIENCY AS ONE OF THE PREDICTORS OF TUBERCULOSIS DEVELOPMENT IN THE COUNTRY WITH A HIGH BURDEN OF DISEASE
1Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
2Republican Center for the Protection of the Population from Tuberculosis, Dushanbe, Republic of Tajikistan
Objective: The comparative study of nutrition index in healthy persons and TB patients, residents of different regions of Tajikistan and determination of the relationship between the degree of protein-energy insufficiency of the body and the transition of latent tuberculosis into an active form of the disease.
Methods: Under surveillance were 390 healthy persons and 200 patients with active tuberculosis, residents of different regions of Tajikistan. Comparable groups by sex, age characteristics and geography of places of residence were quite representative. All observed healthy subjects were put a tuberculin sample intradermally with 2 TE of the drug "TUBERCULIN PPD" according to a standard procedure. The diagnosis of tuberculosis made based on clinical and radiological data, as well as the results of sputum microscopy and its study on the GeneXpertRIF apparatus. All observed persons (healthy and sick with tuberculosis) were subjected to biochemical blood tests and trophological status calculations using standard formulas.
Results: A tuberculin sample showed that of the 390 observed persons, 260 (66.7%) had a negative response, while the remaining 130 (33.3%) had a different reaction to a different degree. The nutrition status only 17.7% of healthy individuals corresponded to the graduation of light undernourishment whereas among sick patients with tuberculosis the insufficiency of food revealed 77.0% of cases, including 43.5% – light, 27.0% – medium and in 6.5% – a serious degree. Examining of the presence of infection with MTB and malnutrition status among the survey revealed that of 69 people with mild malnutrition in 41 (10.5%), the results of the tuberculin sample were positive.
Conclusions: Infection of MTB according to the tuberculin sample is detected in one third of adults used by the studied persons. Individuals with a combination of malnutrition and positive tuberculin test results are at risk for developing tuberculosis, and they should conduct a course of chemoprophylaxis and improve the quality of nutrition. The majority of tuberculosis patients showed malnutrition, which testifies the importance of this starting mechanism of transition from a latent to an active form of the disease.
Keywords: Nutrition index, tuberculosis, predictors, biochemical blood test, tuberculin sample.
- Tuberculosis surveillance and monitoring in Europe. WHO: Geneva; 2015:92 р
- Joncevska M, Hoffmann H, Abildaev T, Bobokhojaev O. Surveillance of drug resistance in Central Asia. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2014;18(11):56-7.
- Aksyonova VA. Profilaktica i rannee viyavlenie tuberkulyoza u detey i podrostkov [Prevention and early detection of tuberculosis in children and adolescents]. Moscow, RF: GEOTER-Media; 2010. 199 p.
- Sirodjidinova UYu, Bobokhodjaev OI, Pirov KI, Sirodjidinov FS. Vy-yavlyaemost’ lokal’nogo tuberkuloyza u shkol’nikov v raznykh regionakh Respubliki Tadzhikistan [Detectability of pulmonary tubercu-losis in schoolchilgren from different regions of the Republic of Tajiki-stan]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2017;19(1):90-6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.25005/2074-0581-2017-19-1-90-96.
- Smith BM, Schwartzman K, Bartlett G, Menzies D. Adverse events as-sociated with treatment of latent tuberculosis in the general population. Can Med Ass Jorn. 2011;183(3):173-9.
- Nutritional care and support for patients with tuberculosis. WHO: Geneva; 2014. 65 р.
- Mupere EI, Parraga EI, Tisch DJ. Low nutrient intake among adult women and patients with severe tuberculosis disease in Uganda: a cross-sectional study. BMC: Public Health. 2012;5(12):1050. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-1050.
- Gupta KB, Gupta R, Atreja A, Verma M, Vishvkarma S. Tuberculosis and nutrition. Lung India. 2009;26(1):9-16.
- LoBue Ph. People aged above 65 treated for latent tuberculosis are at increased risk of admission for a hepatic event compared with untreated controls. Evid Based Med.2011;1:169-70.
- Nutritional supplements for people being treated for active tuberculosis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012;147.
- Borodulina EA, Amosova EA, Borodulin BE. Voprosy tuberkulinodiagnostiki u detey v sovremennikh usloviyakh [Issues of tuberculin diagnostics in children in modern conditions]. Voprosy sovremennoy pediatrii. 2010;9(1):70-5.
- Alekseeva GI. Kartridzhnaya PTSR Genexpert-tekhnologiya v bakterio-logicheskoy diagnostike tuberkulyoza [Cartridge PCR of Genetic Expert Technologies in bacteriological diagnostics of tuberculosis]. Tuberkulyoz i bolezni lyogkikh. 2015;6:14-5.
- Kamyshnikov VS, Volotovskaya OA, Khodyukova AB. Metody klinicheskikh laboratornykh issledovaniy [Methods of clinical laboratory tests]. Moscow, RF: MEDpress-inform; 2013. 736 p.
- Saburova AM, Dzhumaev BB. Biokhimiya (Uchebnik) [Biochemistry (Tu-torial)]. Dushanbe, RT: Кaykhon; 2011. 548 p.
- Belmer SV, Mitina EV, Anastasevich NA, Karpina LM. Trofolo-gicheskiy status i pankreaticheskie fermenty [Trophological status and pancreatic enzymes]. Lechashchiy vrach. 2012;1:28-33.
- Soldak Т, Кrizton М. Informatsionnyy spravochnik po pitaniyu dlya konsul’tirovaniy bol’nykh tuberkulyozom (per. s angl.) [Information guide on nutrition for counseling patients with tuberculosis]. Moscow, RF: GTM; 2013. 86 p.
Mirzoeva Farangiz Oktamovna, Master of Public Health, Doctoral PhD, Institute of Postgraduate Education in Healthcare of the Republic of Tajikistan
Nuraliev Muslikhiddin Makhmadrasulovich, Candidate of Biological Sciences, Laboratory Assistant of the Republican Center for the Protection of the Population from Tuberculosis
Address for correspondence:
Nuraliev Muslikhiddin Makhmadrasulovich
Candidate of Biological Sciences, Laboratory Assistant of the Republican Center for Protection of the Population from Tuberculosis
734025, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, Bukhoro str., 53
Tel.: (+992) 908 333934
Materials on the topic:
- DETECTABILITY OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS IN SCHOOLCHILDREN FROM DIFFERENT REGIONS OF THE REPUBLIC OF TAJIKISTAN
- EFFICACY OF TUBERCULOSIS CASES DETECTION AMONG THE POPULATION OF DUSHANBE IN THE REPUBLIC OF TAJIKISTAN
- ULTRASOUND DIAGNOSTICS OF ABDOMINAL TUBERCULOSIS IN THE CONDITIONS OF THE OUTPATIENT-DIAGNOSTIC DEPARTMENT
- THE FREQUENCY OF DEVELOPMENT OF TUBERCULOSIS AMONG CITIZENS OF THE REPUBLIC OF TAJIKISTAN, LEAVING TO LABOR MIGRATION
- THE ROLE OF THE IMPLANTABLE PORT SYSTEM FOR THE CENTRAL VENOUS ACCESS IN TREATMENT OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS WITH MULTIPLE AND EXTENSIVELY DRUG RESISTANCE (PRELIMINARY RESULTS)
- SURGICAL TREATMENT OF PULMONARY AND EXTRAPULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS
- THE INFLUENCE OF BCG VACCINATION ON THE STRUCTURE OF CLINICAL FORMS OF TUBERCULOSIS IN CHILDREN FROM THE FOCI OF INFECTION AND FROM UNSPECIFIED CONTACT FOR TUBERCULOSIS
- TUBERCULOSIS OF WORKERS OF MEDICAL ORGANIZATIONS IN THE KYRGYZ REPUBLIC, 2015-2017
- COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF MTB STRAINS WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF DRUG RESISTANCE IN PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS IN THE KYRGYZ REPUBLIC
- COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF APPLICATION OF THE MORISKY-GREEN SCALE AND THE QUESTIONNAIRE "COMPLIANCE LEVEL" IN THE STUDY OF ADHERENCE TO TREATMENT IN PATIENTS WITH PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS