SURGICAL TREATMENT OF POST-BURN SCARS OF NECK AND CHEST
Department of Reconstructive Surgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Objective: To study the frequency of application of various types of skin flaps in patients with consequences of extensive burns of the neck and chest area.
Methods: The experience of surgical treatment of the consequences of burns in the neck and chest area was studied in 17 patients with extensive lesions. All patients underwent excision of scar-modified tissue, with the subsequent covering of the formed defect with free or non-free flaps from other anatomical zones. Surgical treatment was performed only with hypertrophic scars; the presence of keloid scars was the criterion for excluding the patient from the study group.
Results: The use of non-free flaps yielded the best results due to aesthetic acceptability and coverage of large defects in the covering tissues of the neck and chest region. Full-thickness dermal grafts taken from the inguinal region, as well as from various areas of the upper limb, showed themselves to be more aesthetically justified, but their use allowed them to cover only defects of small and medium size. Despite the fact that the use of different types of non-free flaps allowed to cover defects of large sizes, the aesthetic result of their application in seven patients (41.2%) was relatively satisfactory, in view of the extensive lesions and residual consequences.
Conclusions: With defects in the neck of small and medium sizes, the use of free and non-free flaps is justified and has an optimal aesthetic result. Further research should be aimed at finding new varieties of flaps with minimal donor damage or other means of cover in cases of extensive post-burn defects in other anatomical areas involving potential donor zones.
Keywords: Full-thickness flaps, vascularized flaps on the leg, post-burn scars of the neck and chest.
- Shaymonov AKh, Gulin AV, Saidov MS. Khirurgicheskoe lechenie bol’nykh s rubtsovymi oslozhneniyami ozhogov verkhnikh konechnostey (obzor literatury) [Surgical treatment of patients with scar complications of upper extremity burns (literature review)]. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: Estestvennye i tekhnicheskie nauki. 2017;22(2):368-74. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.20310/1810-0198-2017-22-2-368-374.
- Ismoilov MM, Khodzhamuradov GM, Shaymonov AKh, Saidov MS. Esteticheskie rezul’taty primeneniya nesvobodnogo pakhovogo loskuta pri defektakh verkhney konechnosti [Aesthetic results of the use of a non-free inguinal flap with defects of the upper limb]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2015;1:33-8.
- Sharobaro VI, Moroz VYu, Yudenich AA, Vaganova NA, Grechishnikov MI, Vaganov NV. Plasticheskie operatsii na litse i shee posle ozhogov [Plastic operations on the face and neck after burns]. Klinicheskaya praktika. 2013;4:17-21.
- Zhernov AA, Zhernov AnA. Lechenie posleozhogovoy deformatsii i kontraktury shei s ispol’zovaniem rastyanutykh loskutov s osevym tipom krovosnabzheniya [Treatment of post-burn deformity and neck contracture using stretched flaps with axial blood supply]. Klíníchna khírurgíya. 2012;3:47-51.
- Afonichev KA, Filippova OV, Baindurashvili AG, Buklaev DS. Reabilitatsiya detey s rubtsovymi posledstviyami ozhogov: osobennosti, oshibki, puti resheniya [Rehabilitation of children with cicatricial burns: peculiarities, errors, solutions]. Travmatologiya i ortopediya Rossii. 2010;1:80-4.
- Afonichev KA, Filippova OV. Dispansernoe nablyudenie detey, perenyosshikh ozhogi [Dispensary observation of children who have suffered burns]. Ortopediya, travmatologiya i vosstanovitel’naya khirurgiya detskogo vozrasta. 2015; 1:32-7.
- Dmitriev GI. Metod mestnoy kozhnoy plastiki [Method of local dermal plasty]. Vestnik RAMN. 2013;4:52-6.
- Filippova AG, Afonichev OV, Baindurashvili KA, Golyana SI, Stepanova YuV, Tsyplakova MS. Osobennosti razvitiya vtorichnykh deformatsiy u detey s rubtsovymi posledstviyami ozhogov, printsipy khirurgicheskogo lecheniya [Features of development of secondary deformations in children with cicatricial consequences of burns, principles of surgical treatment]. Travmatologiya i ortopediya Rossii. 2012;1:77-84.
- Tateladze DG, Simonov SN, Gulin AV. Mediko-sotsial’nyy status kombustiologicheskikh bol’nykh i kliniko-ekonomicheskiy analiz rezul’tatov ikh lecheniya [Medico-social status of combustiological patients and clinicoeconomic analysis of the results of their treatment]. Vestnik Avitsenny [Avicenna Bulletin]. 2017;19(1):57-62. Available from: http://dx.doi. org/10.25005/2074-0581-2017-19-1-57-62.
- Zan T. Classification of massive postburn scars on neck and the reconstruction strategy using pre-expanded perforator flaps from the back. Chinese Journal of Burns. 2016; 32(8):463-8.
- Yang Z. Pre-expanded cervico-acromial fasciocutaneous flap based on the supraclavicular artery for resurfacing post-burn neck scar contractures. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2014;73:92-8.
- Yamin MRA. Reconstructive surgery of extensive face and neck burn scars using tissue expanders. World Journal of Plastic Surgery. 2015;4(1):40-4.
- Mukhamadieva KM, Artykov KP, Saidov MS. Khirurgicheskoe lechenie keloidnykh rubtsov s primeneniem kriodestruktsii [Surgical treatment of keloid scars with the use of cryodestruction]. Zdravookhranenie Tadzhikistanа. 2008;1:39-42.
- Chuback J, Yarascavitch B, Yarascavitch A, Kaur MN, Martin S, Thoma A. Measuring utilities of severe facial disfigurement and composite tissue allotransplantation of the face in patients with severe face and neck burns from the perspectives of the general public, medical experts and patients. Burns. 2015; 41(7):1524-31.
- Goldie SJ, Parsons S, Menezes H, Ives A, Cleland H, Goldie SJ. A rare case of failed healing in previously burned skin after a secondary burns. Burns & Trauma. 2017;5(1):32-4.
Shaymonov Aziz Khusenovich, Research Fellow of the Department of Reconstructive Surgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
Khodzhamuradov Gafur Muhammadmuhsinovich, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Reconstructive Surgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
Ismoilov Mukhtordzhon Marufovich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Reconstructive Surgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
Saidov Mahmadullo Sayfulloevich, Research Fellow of the Department of Reconstructive Surgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
Address for correspondence:
Saidov Mahmadullo Sayfulloevich
Research Fellow of the Department of Reconstructive Surgery, Republican Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery
734003, Republic of Tajikistan, Dushanbe, str. Sanoi, 33
Tel.: (+992) 921 195532